Thursday, August 12, 2010

The First Book I Ever Read

Here's a quick q and a I just did for the Readathon - can you remember the first book you ever read? SarahXXX

Can you remember the first book you ever read by yourself?

I was a late reader, I didn’t read fluently until I was 9 ½ but as soon as it all started to click I flew through all the Enid Blyton school stories. But the first book I can remember being read aloud to me is A A Milne’s poetry books.

What was your favourite book as a child?

As a child and now, my favourite books are Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak, and Are You There, God, It’s Me, Margaret by the wonderful Judy Blume.

Is there any children’s book which has been handed down through the generations in your family ?

Yes, lots – Richard Scarry books, The Secret Garden, Ballet Shoes, Fairy Tale collections and my prized possession, a signed Mary Lavin ‘The Second Best Children in the World’, a brilliant picture book.

What is your favourite book of all time?

See above!

Is there a reading or book related memory/tip that you would like to share with young readers around the country?

In my job as a children’s bookseller I’ve been very lucky to meet a lot of authors over the years – including J K Rowling, Jacqueline Wilson and Judy Blume. And they all have one thing in common, they are all passionate readers. So if you’d like to be a brilliant writer like Jo or Jacqueline, read, read, read!

No comments:

Post a Comment