Monday, October 4, 2010

Mercy Me! Sarah Meets the Mercy Heights Girls

On Wednesday 29th Sept I was waiting in Skibbereen Library, watching the library clock's hands creep past two. OK, Mercy Heights weren't going to make it. They obviously had really important stuff going down in the school, like double Irish or PE.

'They're on their way,' the lovely librarian, Ken assured me. I didn't really believe him. I sighed inwardly. If they didn't turn up I'd have to go back to work - yikes.

But they certaily did appear - and how. Minutes later the whole of 1st year trooped into the library and squeezed themselves into the children's space. From the start I knew these were great girls - funny, interesting, lively and witty, with lots to say.

I told them about growing up in Dublin - my mad mother, my bad ballet experiences, my slightly better Cinderella play experiences, and how I became a writer.

Then they asked some fab questions about writing/books/teen diaries/all kinds of things and we chatted for ages.
I think I even told them about my boy lists at the back of my teen diaries - oops!

Then they signed my special events book, and I signed their books, fanzines and bits of paper!

It was fun. So a big hi to all the fab girls at Mercy - with the fab names: Chloe, Grace, Helen, Aine, Lily, Aoife, Aisling, Niamh, Leah, Loraine, Sinead, Fiona, Maisey, Alanna, Karen, Sarah C, Orla . . . and all the rest of the gang - it was a pleasure to meet you all!

What I liked about Mercy Heights - they were bright and funny; they had some great questions; they laughed at all the right places (vital!) AND they liked my stickers and ink stamps. People who like stickers are good. Moi, obsessed? No! (But if you get a chance, check out the paper chase website - if you like stickers, it rocks!)

Sarah X

No comments:

Post a Comment